Free train travel with many private railway companies
The main railway company in Switzerland is SBB/CFF/FFS. Your Eurail Pass is valid on all trains of this company.
Below you can find an overview of private railway companies that also accept your Eurail Pass for free travel.
The Appenzeller Bahnen operates on the following routes in the north of Switzerland:
- Altstätten – Gais
- Gossau – Appenzell – Wasserauen
- St.Gallen – Appenzell
- St.Gallen – Trogen
- Rorschach – Heiden
- Rheineck – Walzenhausen
- Speicherschwendi – Teufen.
It's possible to make reservations for groups.
For more information visit the AB website (only available in German).
Aare Seeland Mobil runs a bus and a railway network in the Bieler Seeland and Oberaargau region.
The Aare Seeland bus operates on the following routes:
- Biel – Pieterlen
- Biel – Meinisberg
- City bus Langenthal
The railway network covers the following routes:
- Biel – Ins
- Langenthal – Niederbipp – Solothurn
- Langenthal – St. Urban Brick
For more information and timetables visit the ASM website (only available in French and German).
BDWM Transport AG runs a bus and a railway network close to Zurich.
The bus operates on the following routes:
- Bremgarten – Oberwil - Lieli
- Bremgarten – Oberrohrdorf
- Meisterschwanden – Wohlen
The railway line runs between:
- Wohlen – Dietikon
For more information visit the BDWM website (only available in German).
- 1st and 2nd class cars available
- Buffet and restaurant cars available
- Reservations are not compulsory, but can be made at any train station in Switzerland
For more information visit the BLS website.
This railway company operates on the scenic route Locarno – Domodossola (Italy) and is also known as the Centovalli Railway. On your way from Locarno to Domodossola you'll see waterfalls, breathtaking mountain scenery and sleepy villages.
MOB and MVR Transports both operate the scenic Golden Pass train on the following route:
- (Zurich –) Lucerne – Brünigpass – Interlaken – Zweisimmen – Montreux (– Geneva)
MOB also operates the Chocolate Train on the following route:
- Montreux – Broc-Chocolat
This company runs a train and a bus network in the heart of Switzerland.
RA trains operate on the route:
- Brig – Sion – Martigny – St.Maurice – St. Gingolph – Monthey – St. Maurice – Martigny – Sembrancher – Orsières / Le Chable
RA buses operate on the route:
- Leukerbad – Visp
For more information visit the RA website (only available in French and German).
This railway company runs the famous Glacier Express and Bernina Express.
The Bernina Express operates on the route:
- Chur/Davos/St. Moritz – Bernina pass – Poschiavo – Tirano
If you want to take a panoramic coach, a reservation is compulsory. The regional train that operates on this route is free as it's included in your pass.
- Zermatt – Brig – Disentis – Chur – St.Moritz
Your Eurail pass in valid from Disentis to St. Moritz. The leg of the journey from Zermatt to Disentis is operated by a private railway company (MGB) that's not included in the pass. MGB does offer a 25% discount.
The SSIF operates on the route Locarno – Domodossola.
Travys operates bus and train lines in the Jura region as well as local public transport networks in Yverdon and Orbe.
Travys buses run on the following routes:
- Yverdon – les-Bains Train Station – Dorp Chamblon
- Yverdon – les-Bains Train Station – Gare Vallorbe
- Mauborget – Chez Jacques L'Auberson
Travys trains operate on the routes:
- Le Brassus – Vallorbe
- Orbe – Chavornay
- Yverdon-les-Bains – St. Croix
For more information visit the Travys website (only available in French)
There are also various private railway companies where you can travel with 25%-50% discount.