- Oct 01, 2012
- Category: Eurail News
Select Pass change in 2013
France is no longer part of the Eurail Select Pass, however it will continue to be included in the popular Eurail Global Pass – the flexible and value-for-money rail pass that lets you experience up to 24 countries by train.
Knowing that many travelers who order the Eurail Select Pass want to choose France as one of their 3, 4 or 5 countries, we understand that this product change might cause some confusion. We want to be clear about how this might influence your pass choice and to explain all your travel options to ensure you have the Eurail train adventure that you've always dreamed of!
Need help choosing the best pass for your travel plans? Want to include France on your Eurail trip? Send an email with your travel plans (including countries and your approximate travel dates) to email@example.com and we'll get back to you within 24 hours with all your options!
Watch the following video or continue reading this article to find out more information.
If you bought a Eurail Select Pass in 2012 with France as one of your chosen countries, you can still travel within and between France in 2013. Remember you must activate your pass at a train station within 6 months. You’ll then have 2 months from the activation date to complete your Eurail trip.
Spain and Portugal are exciting, vibrant countries not to be missed on a Eurail trip. Spain's bordering countries will be Portugal and Italy. Here’s how you can still travel to Spain and Portugal (you must travel through Spain to reach Portugal) with a Eurail Select Pass:
- Take the Elipsos night train between Spain and France.
Your Eurail Select Pass only has to be valid in 1 country that the train passes through. The Elipsos train operates on these routes:
- Madrid – Paris
- Barcelona – Paris
Reservations are required for sleeping accommodation or reclining seats on Elipsos trains. Once leaving the Elipsos train in Paris, you’ll need to buy point-to-point tickets between there and the French border.
View reservation fees for the Elipsos train.
- Reach Spain by ferry from Italy.
Get a 20% discount with your Eurail pass on Grimaldi Lines for the route Livorno (Italy) to Barcelona (Spain). Add some extra adventure to your Eurail trip by including a ferry journey across the Mediterranean. To take advantage of this discounted ferry, your Eurail Select Pass only needs to be valid in Spain or Italy
- Order a Eurail Global Pass instead. This best value pass allows you the freedom to travel by train in up to 23 countries including France, Spain and Portugal.
In the Eurail Select Pass, Ireland is considered to be a bordering country with France and Benelux (Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg). When France leaves the Select Pass, Benelux will be the only country that borders with Ireland. Here’s how you can still travel to Ireland with a Eurail Select Pass:
- Buy point-to-point train tickets for train travel in France to the port in Cherbourg or in Roscoff. Irish Ferries offer a 30% discount on ferry crossings between those French ports and Rosslare (Ireland). Your pass only needs to be valid in Ireland.
- Order a Eurail Global Pass instead. This best value pass allows you the freedom to travel by train in up to 23 countries and includes France. From France you can take a discounted-ferry (see above).
- Another possibility is to fly to Dublin (Republic of Ireland) or Belfast (Northern Ireland) from one of your chosen Select Pass countries.