Making online reservations for trains in Italy
Various trains in Italy require a reservation. Eurail pass holders have to pay an additional fee for these reservations.
Reservations are compulsory for Le Frecce trains (Frecciarossa, Frecciargento and Frecciabianca, formerly known as Eurostar Italia), night trains and international day trains like the EuroCity. For InterCity trains a reservation is recommended. It's not possible to make reservations for regional trains.
On the Trenitalia website it's possible to make reservations for domestic trains like Le Frecce and InterCity trains, night trains and for most international connections to and from Italy.
Please keep in mind that it's not possible to make online reservations for the TGV train between Milan and Paris. You can reserve this train by phone ( +39 0240 32 6435). You'll have to collect your reservations at a RailEurope office close to Milan Central station (Milano Centrale). Address: Via Viturvio 1. 20214 Milan.
How to make online reservations
Reservations can be made on the Trenitalia website. If you want to receive an invoice of your order you'll have to register before making your reservations. If receiving an invoice isn't necessary, you can start right away.
Follow these steps to make your reservations:
- Enter your departure city and city of arrival.
- Choose your preferred train connection and click Select.
- Check the 'view other prices and services' box that's right below your selected train connection. Click Continue.
- Select your preferred class (1st or 2nd) in the Service menu. Now select 'Global Pass' in the Offer menu.
Also select this if you have a Select Pass, Regional Pass or Italy One Country Pass.
- The price of your ticket(s) now only shows the reservation cost. Fill in the order number of your Eurail pass in the 'ticket number support' box. Click Continue.
Your order number is the number stated on your pass at 'CIV:' and starts with EU and exists of 8 numbers if you purchased your pass from Eurail.Com. You can also find your order number in your confirmation email so you don't have to wait for your Eurail pass to arrive to make train reservations.
When you try to make reservations for international day trains it may not be possible to fill in your order number. In that case you'll have to wait for your pass to arrive and use your pass number (you can find this 7 digit number at the back of your pass.)
- Check the date and departure time of your selected train and choose your payment method (credit card or Paypal).
- Click Continue to complete the payment or click add travel solution to make another reservation.
Good to know
For journeys within Italy you can choose to receive an e-ticket. Reservations for international journeys, night trains or high-speed trains have to be picked up at an Italian train station. They can also be delivered to an Italian address.
Other ways to make train reservations in Italy
You can also make reservations:
- at a ticket desk or self-service machine at major Italian train stations like Firenze Santa Maria Novella, Milano Centrale, Torino Porta Nuova, Roma Termini and Venezia Santa Lucia.
If you use a self-service machine, select the train you want to book and click on 'Global Pass'.
- by phone through a railway call center.
Making reservations for international trains to Italy
Make your reservations by phone through the ÖBB call center and pick them up at an Austrian train station
Make your reservations for day trains by phone through the DB call center and pick them up at a German train station.
Reservations for night trains from Germany to Italy can be made online on the DB website. You'll receive your reservation as an e-ticket.
Make your reservations by phone through the SBB call center atnd pick them up at a Swiss train station.