AVE stands for Alta Velocidad Española, a network of quality high-speed trains in Spain. With a speed of up to 300 km/h (186 mph), you can travel between Madrid and Barcelona in less than 3 hours.
AVE trains operate on the following routes:
- Madrid – Barcelona (via Guadalajara, Calatayud, Zaragoza, Lleida and Tarragona)
- Madrid – Barcelona – Girona – Figueres Vilafant
- Madrid – Seville (via Ciudad Real, Puertollano, and Córdoba)
- Madrid – Valladolid (via Segovia)
- Madrid – Huesca (via Guadalajara, Calatayud, and Zaragoza)
- Madrid – Málaga (via Ciudad Real, Puertollano, Córdoba, and Antequera)
- Barcelona – Seville (via Zaragoza, Córdoba and Madrid)
- Barcelona – Málaga (via Zaragoza, Córdoba and Madrid)
- Barcelona – Girona – Figueres Vilafant
The central hub of the AVE system in Madrid is the train station Puerta de Atocha. The Madrid – Valladolid line departs from Chamartin Station. In Barcelona the AVE trains depart from Barcelona Sants station.
Eurail pass holders
Seating reservation for AVE trains is compulsory. Eurail pass holders pay the following advance reservation fees:
* 2nd Class 'Turista': € 10
* 1st class 'Preferente': € 23.50, including welcome drink and meal.
* 1st class 'Club': € 38, including welcome drink and à la carte meal.
Prices are subject to change.
It is possible for 2nd class pass holders to travel in 'Preferente', when they pay the reservation and the difference of the fare between 'Preferente' and 'Turista'.
Check-in control takes place on the platform, before boarding the train. AVE trains offer an extensive service on board on the described routes, including comfortable reclining seats, tv & music and an on-board restaurant. Travelers with 1st class Club and Preferente reservations have access to the exclusive lounge "Sala Club".
More info at renfe.es/ave. (English)
Eurail passes for Spain
When does your train leave?
More on timetables.