The Greek rail network covers 2,449 km (1520 mi), connecting big cities and small towns, in Greece and Balkan countries and Turkey.
Your Eurail pass is valid on trains operated by the Greek national railway company OSE.
InterCity Express trains
New InterCity Express trains, offer high quality and speed to our guests traveling between Athens and Thessaloniki. For the use of these trains the Eurail pass holder has to pay a seat reservation fee, which you can obtain locally.
Inter City trains
Traveling by InterCity train is always relaxing: air conditioning, meal served at the seat, snacks or drinks are available at the bar.
Suburban Proastiakos trains connect:
- Athens – Korinthos and vice versa in 1 hour and 20 min
- Athens (Central Railway Station “Stathmos Larissis”) – the E. Venizelos/Airport of Athens and vice versa in 45 min
- Korinthos (New Railway Station) – the E. Venizelos/Airport of Athens and vice versa in 1 hour and 20 min
There is an overnight train connecting Athens and Thessaloniki and vice versa.
There are international trains connecting Thessaloniki – Belgrade, Sofia, Budapest, Ljubljana and Istanbul. A daily sleeping car connects Athens and Sofia.
Greek national railway company OSE has suspended the circulation of all international trains indefinitely. Find more details and alternative routes.
Most domestic day trains in Greece do not require reservations.
Exception: for the InterCity Express trains reservation is compulsory. There are no reservation costs.
Starting the train journey from Patras, in Peloponnese, the traveler can visit:
- Olympia, where the first Olympic Games took place
- Athens, using the OSE and Suburban Proastiakos trains with a change at Korinthos new railway station, and many other places
Starting the train journey from Athens, one of the biggest centers of the ancient culture, and also a modern city of our time, the traveler can visit:
- the beautiful town of Volos, near the magnificent mountain of Pilion.
- the city of Thessaloniki, the second biggest city of Greece, passing during the journey by Olympus, the mountain of gods and many other places.
The Rack Railway takes you from Diakopto to Kalavrita, a historic town of Peloponnese, on mountain Helmos at an altitude of 2,343 ft ascending for 22 km (14 miles) following the steep slopes of the Vouraikos gorge.
The steam train takes you from Ano Lechonia to Milies, through the picturesque mountain of Pelion, in the Thessalia area. Suburban trains connect:
- Athens and Chalkida, the capital of the island Evia, in 1 hour and 30 min.
- Athens and Loutraki, the well known seaside resort in 1 hour and 40 min.
* Kardítsa – Kalambáka
Eurail aid offices in Greece
For questions about Eurail, you can go to the Hellenic Railways travel agency in Athens, the railway station of Patras or the Central railway station of Thessaloniki.
Detailed information about Eurail aid offices in Greece and the rest of Europe.
From Athens E.Venizelos airport there is a train every hour to Athens Central railway station and to Kiato new railway station (change at Ano Liossia station).
International trains suspended in Greece
Unfortunately, the Greek national railway company OSE has suspended all international trains indefinitely.
This means that you can not travel by train from Greece to Bulgaria, FYR Macedonia or Turkey.
There's currently a limited service running on domestic trains in Greece.