The Polish state railway company is called Polskie Koleje Panstwowe or PKP.
The national InterCity passenger network comprises 20 major towns with regular interval services on several routes.
Eurail pass validity
You can travel in Poland with the Eurail Poland Pass or the Eurail Germany-Poland Pass. These Eurail passes are valid on:
- all trains operated by the national railway company PKP / PKP Intercity JSC.
- trains on the regional railway lines.
- KM Koleje Mazowieckie
- Przewozy Regionalne (Regional Services)
Eurail passes are not valid in Poland on:
- trains operated by Arriva PCC.
- trains operated by Koleje Dolnośląskie (local trains in the region of Lower Silesia).
- the train run by Koleje Mazowieckie (KM) on the route Varsovie (Warsaw) – Gdynia.
The international services offered by PKP include:
- international day trains to Amsterdam, Berlin, Hamburg, Prague and Vienna.
- high-standard international night trains to Berlin, Budapest and Prague.
All international trains have air-conditioned coaches.
You can plan your trip with the help of online timetables.
The main train types in Poland are:
- Ekspres InterCity (EIC, EkspresIC) - domestic high standard trains with obligatory reservation.
- EuroCity (EC) - international high standard trains, reservation obligatory on domestic routes.
- Tanie Linie Kolejowe (TLK) - fast trains with optional reservation in 1st class, no reservation in 2nd class.
- Ekspres (Ex) - express trains (obligatory reservation).
- InterRegio (IR) and Regio (R) - local trains without reservations.
Reservations for EX, IC, EC and TLK trains are free if made locally in Poland.
Hotel trains run from Gdynia to Zakopane, from Kraków to Kolobrzeg and from Warsaw to Szczecin/Swinoujscie. These trains only have sleeping cars and couchettes and do not stop at intermediate stations.
A nice scenic route is Walbrzych Glowny – Jelenia Góra.
Airport - station link
From Warsaw Airport Fryderyk Chopin you can take Bus 175 City-Airport Link to Warszawa Centralna railway station. Eurail passes are not valid on this bus.
Holders of a 1st class Eurail pass have free access to the PKP lounge (Strefa VIP) at Warszawa Centralna station.