Enjoy Slovenia by train with a Eurail pass
Slovenia's train network, operated by the Slovenian railway company (or Slovenske železnice of SZ) will get you to most of the destinations within the country.
The passenger railroad network traffic covers 1,200 km (745 mi) of which almost half are electrified tracks.
The national railway company of Slovenia is called SŽ (Slovenian Railways - Slovenske železnice).
How to get there
The capital city of Ljubljana is easy reachable by direct trains from Austria (Vienna), Germany (Munich), Switzerland (Zurich), Croatia (Zagreb), Hungary (Budapest) and Serbia (Belgrade).
Slovenian Railways, Slovenske Zeleznice or SZ, operate the following types of trains:
- InterCitySlovenija (ICS). These quality trains run 9 times a day between Maribor and Ljubljana. Reservation is compulsory.
- InterCity trains (IC). These are quality trains that cover long distances on national and international routes.
- Green trains (ZV). These are quality motor trains that have comfortable, air-conditioned cars. They have shorter travel times, fewer stops and offer restaurant service.
- Local and regional trains that cover shorter distances throughout the country.
- EuroCity trains (EC). These are high-quality international trains that have modern, comfortable and air-conditioned cars. They offer some additional services such as a restaurant car and telephone facilities. They require reservation.
- International trains (MV). These are quality trains that offer fast and reliable connections from Slovenia to other countries.
Examples of nice scenic train routes in Slovenia:
- Ljubljana – Celje
- Ljubljana – Jesenice – Nova Gorica
Airport city connection
From the International Airport you can take a bus to Ljubljana railway station. The journey takes about 45 minutes. Eurail passes are not valid on this connection.
Eurail aid office
For help with Eurail in Slovenia, you can go to the international ticket office at:
- Ljubljana Railway Station
Mon-Fri: 08.00 - 20.00
Sat, Sun and holidays: closed
See Eurail aid offices for details and more aid offices in Europe.