Lithuania by train
Want to go on an adventure to Lithuania's best bits? Trains in Lithuania will get you to most destinations in this outstandingly beautiful country! From lively Vilnius to the natural wonders of Klaipeda and beyond, the Lithuanian rail network connects you to neighbouring Poland and loads of local highlights.
Train types in Lithuania
- Route map
- Domestic trains
- International trains
Domestic trains in Lithuania:
- Trains in Lithuania are mainly operated by LGT Link.
- Vilnius Railway Station is the largest station in the country and the main hub for rail traffic.
- There is a direct train connection from Vilnius airport to this central station 18 times a day, which takes 8 minutes and costs EUR 0.70.
- Other large stations are in Klaipėda, Radviliškis and Kaunas.
- Interrail Passes are not valid on the buses or trams.
Travel times in Lithuania:
|Vilnius to Kaunas||1hr 34min|
|Vilnius to Klaipėda||4hr 10min|
|Vilnius to Šiauliai||2hr 33min|
For more information about train routes in Lithuania, check the website of the Lithuanian Railways.
International trains from Lithuania:
Kaunas - Bialystok (Poland)
- This trip takes on average 4 hr 30 min.
- This line runs on Saturday, Sunday and Monday only. Bikes and luggage can be carried on-board, space permitting. There's a 35kg limit on luggage, but you can purchase extra luggage allowance.
Vilnius - Daugavpils (Latvia)
- From Daugavpils you can change to a Latvian train to Riga.
Reservations are not mandatory to travel by train in Lithuania. However, reservations for the route Vilnius - Klaipėda are highly recommended due to high demand.
|Route||What is included:|
|Vilnius - Klaipėda||Drinks and snacks|
Vilnius - Klaipėda- Nida
|Drinks and snacks, bus transfer from Klaipėda to Nida|
Vilnius - Klaipėda- Palanga
|Drinks and snacks, bus transfer from Klaipėda to Palanga|
How to book a reservation:
At the train station in Lithuania.
Get your Pass for Lithuania
Spend your whole vacation exploring Lithuania by rail.
Standard prices from $ 50
Be free to visit Lithuania along with the other 32 Eurail countries.
Standard prices from $ 181
10 days: World War II sites Visit famous World War II sites in Europe and relive history with Eurail. Follow in the footsteps of the Allied forces, from the beaches of Normandy to the heart of Berlin.
2 weeks in Poland and the Czech Republic Travel to Eastern Europe with a Eurail Pass and spend 2 weeks in Poland and the Czech Republic. Amazing scenery and historic cities are waiting for you!
Change of currency
You cannot change the currency once you have a Pass in your cart. Remove the Pass, and then change the currency on the website header.