SJ High-speed Train
The SJ high-speed trains are purpose built to fit the existing railways tracks in Sweden. The unique tilting system enables these modern trains to travel at speeds of up to 200km/hr. With routes as far north as Umeå and connections to the vibrant cities of Gothenburg and Malmo, the capital city, Stockholm, or even direct travel to Copenhagen (Denmark) via the Öresund Bridge there is no better way to explore the vast Swedish countryside than in the comfort of the SJ high-speed train. These trains are renowned for their high quality service and all trains as standard have comfortable seating, a good selection of food and drinks available and access to WiFi.
SJ high-speed trains travel from the Swedish capital of Stockholm to Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Malmö, Sundsvall, and Oslo.
SJ high-speed trains travel throughout Sweden on the following routes:
- Stockholm - Malmö
- Stockholm - Sundsvall
- Stockholm - Östersund
- Stockholm - Gothenburg
- Stockholm - Karlstad
- Stockholm - Borlänge
- Gothenburg - Malmö
- Copenhagen - Stockholm
- Copenhagen - Malmö
- Oslo - Stockholm
Reservations on SJ high-speed trains are compulsory. You can only board the train if you have made a reservation in advance. For peace of mind, we recommend reserving your seat 2 months before you travel.
How to make reservations for the SJ
You can reserve your seat on the SJ in the following ways:
- Through our Reservation Service
- Online through the Swedish Railways (SJ) website
- At the train station. Keep in mind that trains can become full during busy times.
- 1st class (Economy) seat: 17 euros
- 2nd class (Budget) seat: 7 euros
With a 1st class seat reservation, breakfast is included on services before 9:00 a.m.
How to use SJ's website to book reservations:
1. Visit SJ's website and click on "search journey".
2. On the traveler's option, click on "Add SJ Prio/period ticket".
3. Under the options, select "Interrail" or "Eurailpass". You will need a number, which is your Pass Cover Number. If you have a mobile Pass, you can request your Pass cover number here.
4. Click on "done", and you will be able to look for the route with the Interrail/Eurail discount.
Facilities and services
- Air conditioning
- Audio system
- Disabled facilities
- Power sockets
- WiFi internet
Facilities may differ per train and route. 1st class (economy) offers free coffee or tea and a light cold meal, Swedish newspapers, radio and music channels (headsets included). 2nd class (budget) offers access to the bistro car with sandwiches, drinks and light meals to take away. Radio and music channels are also available (headsets not included).
Change of currency
You cannot change the currency once you have a Pass in your cart. Remove the Pass, and then change the currency on the website header.