SJ Night Train
There’s no better way to travel the vast distances of Sweden than by the comfort of a night. The Swedish rail company SJ offers one of the most modern night train services in Europe, with a variety of sleeping facilities to suit all needs. Why not go on a killer whale safari in the Norwegian town of Narvik, experience the northern lights in Kiruna or hit the slopes at Sweden’s largest ski resort in Åre. The adventure that awaits you is only a train ride away.
SJ night train routes
SJ night trains travel direct to Sweden’s major cities such as Gothenburg, Östersund, Luleå, Stockholm and Malmö. Plus, connections are available upon arrival to smaller popular towns such as Are, Kiruna, Narvik (Norway) and Sundsvall. All the SJ night trains have refreshment facilities offering hearty hot and cold meals, drinks, snacks and a full breakfast. You can also bring your own food along on this overnight journey. Bicycles are not permitted aboard SJ night trains due to safety regulations and skis are allowed but must be in a case.
Domestic SJ night trains:
- Gothenburg - Östersund
- Gothenburg - Luleå
- Stockholm - Östersund
- Stockholm - Luleå
- Malmö - Stockholm
International night train
- Run by VY (Norwegian carrier)
- Runs on the Stockholm (Sweden) - Narvik (Norway) route
Reservations on the SJ night trains are mandatory
We recommend you make your reservations as far in advance as possible.
Hot and cold meals can be purchased on the SJ night trains, as well as snacks, drinks and a full breakfast.
How to make reservations for the SJ night train
You can reserve your seat or sleeping accommodation on the SJ night train in the following ways:
Through our reservation service
Through the Swedish Railways (SJ) website (see below for instructions).
- At the train station. Keep in mind that trains can become full during busy times.
How to make a reservation for SJ night trains through the SJ website
1. Go to the website of SJ and search the train you want to travel on.
2. Select your travel date.
3. Then, under 'Who will travel?', click on 'Add SJ Prio / Commuter ticket / Rail Pass'.
4. Select 'Interrail or Eurail pass' and fill in your Pass Cover Number.
5. If you're booking for a group, add more travelers and repeat step 3 and 4.
6. In the next step you can select a seat and you can pre-order a meal (not included in the reservation fee).
7. Check if all details for your reservation are correct and continue to payment. You will receive your e-ticket in your inbox.
- Seat: 3 euros
- 6-bed couchette: 20 euros p.p.
- 3-bed sleeper: 40 euros p.p.
- Double sleeper with private bathroom: 50 euros p.p.
- Single sleeper with private bathroom: 75 euros
Facilities and services
- Air conditioning
- Disabled facilities
Facilities may differ per train and route.
Passengers with a 1st class pass can take advantage of the SJ lounge in Stockholm and Gothenburg. These lounges offer a relaxed environment to wait, have some food or a drink or use the WiFi to get online before you depart on your journey.