Luxembourg by Train
Luxembourg is at the heart of Europe with excellent rail network connectivity. Get to know a small but modern, cosmopolitan and multicultural country with your Interrail pass. Discover the capital’s many restaurants and bars. Stroll through the historic centre’s narrow streets, discover walking trails in the North, industrial culture in the South or the lovely Moselle Valley. What is more, as of March 2020, bus, rail and tram travel is free, nationwide.
Train types in Luxembourg
You can travel throughout Luxembourg using regional trains and buses operated by CFL (Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois), the Grand Duchy's national railway company. International trains connect Luxembourg to cities in neigbouring countries. You can get times for trains in Luxembourg in the Eurail timetable.
A valid Pass for Luxembourg can be used on all train services run by the national railway company CFL. One country Pass & Global Pass holders do not need to use the Pass to travel by train in 2nd Class as all second class public transport in Luxembourg including funicilar, tram, train is FREE. As for 1st class Pass holders, they will need to use the Pass if they travel in 1st class in Luxembourg.
- Domestic trains
- International trains
Trains in Luxembourg
Regular services that stop at every station along the route.
No reservation required.
Regional Express (RE)
Similar to RegionalBahn trains but with less stops at stations along the route.
No reservation required.
CFL buses (BUS)
- A fleet of 60 buses complement the train network in Luxembourg.
- No reservation required.
City buses, regional buses, trams and funicular
- These types of public transport are for free
International trains in Luxembourg
InterCity trains connect Luxembourg to Liège and Brussels in Belgium.
RB and RE trains connect Luxembourg to Koblenz and Düsseldorf in Germany, and to Metz and Nancy in France.
Reservations are optional. We recommend making one if you'll be travelling during a busy period.
For travel between Luxembourg and Paris (France).
- Reservations for this train are compulsory and they can get fully booked. There are limited seats for Pass holders so we recommend making your reservation 3 months in advance to avoid disappointment.
CFL international buses (BUS)
- 2 international bus lines complement the train network in Luxembourg.
- Easy acces to Saarbrücken and Gare Lorraine TGV from Luxembourg central station
- Reservation required
- International routes
You can travel to and from Luxembourg from popular cities in the following European countries:
|Luxembourg City to Brussels (Belgium)
|Luxembourg City to Koblenz (Germany)
|Luxembourg City to Paris (France)
How can I make reservations for trains in Luxembourg?
Eurail reservation self-service system
Administration costs when booking through Eurail self-service
- € 2,- p.p.per train
- Additional € 9,- per order (for paper tickets)
- Rail Europe: International trains
By calling CFL Customer Service
- Contact the CFL call centre, Monday to Friday 7:00 to 19:00. Closed on public holidays.
Locally at train stations
- At a ticket office or self-service machine.
An explanation of how each booking platform works can be found here: How do I book my reservations
What can I expect when calling CFL?
1. Call CFL on +352 2489 2489
2. You'll hear a menu in German, French and English.
3. Choose extension "2" for bookings and train information.
4. You can get your reservations delivered to any European country for $ 7. You can pick them up at Luxembourg's main train station and pay a booking fee of $ 5.
Get your Pass for Luxembourg
Tips and tricks for Luxembourg
Luxembourg's hub stations
Luxembourg's main hub station is Luxembourg. Here it’s possible to connect to trains and buses that take you across Luxembourg and to many international destinations.
Luxembourg has excellent facilities, including:
Foreign exchange desks
Restaurants and cafés
Tourist information offices
ATM cash machines
Elevators and escalators
Access for disabled passengers
1 week in the Benelux itinerary Travel 1 week in the Benelux region with the Eurail Benelux Pass. You can travel 3 countries with only 1 Pass!
Belgium Itinerary Visit beautiful Belgium with this spectacular rail travel itinerary! Travel with ease between major cities like Brussels and Bruges. #beneluxpass
Netherlands Itinerary Follow this Netherlands itinerary by rail and be amazed by its beautiful and lively cities! #beneluxpass
Change of currency
You cannot change the currency once you have a Pass in your cart. Remove the Pass, and then change the currency on the website header.